The autonomous PV systems generate electricity by exploiting solar energy just like ground P/V systems or roof Photovoltaic but are not connected to the grid and do not sell the produced energy in PPC like grid-connected photovoltaic systems do.
These systems are basically used for the electrification of the building in which they are installed and can store or not store the electricity they produce.
Key parts of an autonomous system:
- Photovoltaic panels that converse solar energy to direct current
- Accumulators / batteries witch store the produced energy and supply where is needed
- Charge controller regulates the voltage and current coming from the PV panels going to battery and prevents battery overcharging and prolongs the battery life
- Inverter converts DC output of PV panels into a clean AC current for AC appliances
The procedure to design an autonomous photovoltaic system is:
- Study made to determine energy requirements of the house that the system is going to be placed (electrical appliances, lighting, heating)
- Calculation of the electricity needed for all appliances together to get the total energy which must be delivered to the appliances
- Technical-Economic study with all the necessary equipment (PV modules, inverters, batteries etc.)
- Financial Offer for equipment supply and the work performed